Monday, October 14, 2013

When I was your age...




When I signed up to take treats to bug's 4K class Halloween party last year, little did I know the rules and regulations I'd face.  Remember when you brought your favorite homemade cupcakes to share with your class on your birthday?  Remember the little ghost suckers you passed out and the chocolate covered rice krispie treat "birds nests" with jelly bean eggs you brought for the "Spring" party?  Remember helping your mom coat the puppy chow (which you might know as muddy buddies?) with powdered sugar by shaking the chocolate and peanut butter covered cereal in a big paper grocery bag?

Oh, not so any longer, my friends!  Snack now have to be healthy!  I'd heard of this phenomenon before... schools becoming more accountable for the health of students.  I know, I know, there's that whole obesity epidemic.  I'm not saying I'm opposed to healthy snacks.  Totally the opposite.  I'd just like to be able to take those little oreo-eyed owls or oreo and licorice spiders  or cupcakes decorated like cupcakes once in a while... you know?
Then, of course, there was the kicker.  Not only did the treats have to be healthy, they also had to be send to school in the original UNOPENED PACKAGING from the STORE.  Seriously?  Seriously.  What the heck do you do for that?  Bring a bag of pre-sliced apples that cost an arm and a leg?  Lame.

My solution?

Approximately 30 of these guys.

This seemed about as crafty as I could get while not breaking the rules.  I got the Dole diced peaches and mandarin oranges on sale AND used a coupon too, so they were actually pretty affordable.  All I needed then was a black sharpie...

and voila!  jack o lanterns!


I'll probably resurrect this idea in a few weeks for his kindergarten class.  



*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...