Monday, September 17, 2012

The only Key Lime Pie I Can Make.



I have tried with ZERO success to make the perfect key lime pie... until now.  Remember this attempt - which was so horrid it made bug's list of "bad things to happen today"?

Let me back up just a bit and add that mr and I LOVE lime.  As if this wasn't an indication.  We drink it straight up, peeps.  We are a little bit picky about our lime pies.  Key lime especially.  It has to be lime-y enough without passing the point of deliciously tart and moving on to bitter.  There have been very few pies that have knocked our socks off in this regard.

And this pie?  It knocked them off.  Clean off, I tell you.

When you see how easy it is to make a ridiculously scrumptious key lime pie, you'll kick yourself for ever worrying about eggs and curd and gelatin... you will wonder why this trick isn't all over Pinterest already.  You'll wonder why you aren't making one RIGHT NOW.

(I know I am)

I need to be perfectly clear.  You will not find an easier recipe for key lime pie ANYWHERE. You will find recipes that claim to be key lime pie and claim to be easy and claim to be both, but they can not touch this pie.

Just looking at it makes me want to run to the store for a bag of key limes right now.

I didn't cook this the day before.  Many times, when I decide on a dessert for dinner, I'll forget that some desserts are better after they've been in the fridge overnight - or at least for a couple of hours.  The result is often less than stellar - delicious, but a big soupy mess.
I cooked this pie much longer than the recipe states, because every time I checked it it didn't seem done.  When we finally decided it had to come out or the crust would burn, I was worried.  It did NOT look done.  It looked wiggly and jiggly.  It looked like it would run onto our plates in a liquid-y mess, with no hope for decent pictures.

We popped it in the freezer while we ate dinner.

And when we were done?  We took out the most gorgeous, perfectly set key lime pie with the most amazing texture.

And just so you know, here's what I had to contend with while snapping just the right amount of (600 million) photos for this post. 


Look at those eyes.  How could I resist that??


It's so easy, you'll wonder why you don't make one every night for dinner.  And then, you just might start.

Ah, enough hype, you say?  Well alright.  Right click to download.



In full disclosure, I will confess that I originally found this recipe here (I changed the cooking time a bit.  You may need to cook it even longer).  I didn't make it up myself, though I'd love to take credit for it.  What I DID do, though, was buy a deep dish graham crust on accident.  Which meant I had to double everything in the recipe to fill it up.  Darn.


Trust me.  You will love every last morsel.  And then, you might lick the plate.  Just saying.




*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

3 comments:

Michelle L. said...

I am excited to try this! Loving these easy recipes!

Chelli said...

I've tried this recipe before and you are correct, madam. It is Awesome! (Me thinks you won something at Shwin & Shwin??? That'll make a girls day)

Julie Rosenhan said...

I love this key lime pie recipe! It seriously is the best! One variation that my husband and I love is to use crushed ginger snaps for the crust (I got the idea from Red Lonster).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...