Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The best pumpkin dessert. Ever. Bar none. NONE.


You will be happy that I've introduced you to this dessert.


Trust me.  


If you've been around a while, you will remember from last year that I don't actually like pumpkin pie.  (I'm bordering on heretical, I know.)  In November of 2010 I went on a quest for the perfect pumpkin dessert.  And I found it - after I found a different one and then tweaked it to my own tastes.  And I am sharing it here with you today!  


I call my version:


Pumpkin Pie Cake

Grease a 13x9 pan.
Preheat your oven to 350.
“crust":
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 stick of butter, room temperature
1 egg
Set aside 1 Cup of yellow cake mix for use later.  Beat the rest of the cake mix, the butter and egg in a medium mixing bowl.  When well combined, press the batter into the prepared pan for a “crust”.
Filling:
1 30 oz. can of pumpkin pie filling 
1 15 oz. can of evaporated milk 
1 C. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
Beat the above ingredients together until the mixture lightens in color and texture.  Pour this into the pan on top of the crust. 
Topping:
1/4 C sugar
1/2 stick chilled butter
1 C reserved cake mix
1 C chopped pecans
Beat everything except the pecans in a medium bowl.  When it is combined and crumbly, add in the pecans and mix with a spoon.  Spread this evenly over the filling.
Bake this in the oven for 60 minutes or so.  The cake should look very moist, but shouldn’t “jiggle” when it’s moved.  Let the cake cool.  Optional: Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.



I'm sure there are other recipes out there very similar to this one.  And I have to admit, I got a few ideas when making it this time around that I want to experiment with next time.  If I improve upon it, I'll let you know!


In my opinion, this cake is MUCH better the next day.  


Have you made homemade whipped cream before? Because if you haven't, you must.  It is THAT much  better than the fake stuff.  For my Pumpkin Pie Cake I made French Vanilla Whipped Cream, and it was amazing (if I do say so myself).  


Want to know how to make flavored whipped cream?  It's super easy.



Flavored Whipped Cream
Heavy Whipping Cream 
Sugar (about 1/4 C, more or less to taste)
Dairy Creamer in the flavor of your choice

Pour the cream into a bowl and add a little bit of the flavored creamer.  You don't need much, but add according to your taste.  I used about 3 T or so of the French Vanilla.  Beat this until it just barely starts to thicken.  Beat the sugar into the cream a little at a time, beating in between each addition.  Keep beating.  Beat some more.  When you think you are done beating, beat for a little longer.  Beat, beat, beat.  Repeat.  And voila!  Flavored Whipped Cream! 

Now go make it.  You're welcome.




This post brought to you by: 


Have you linked up yet?





*Be sure to check just below for all the fun parties I link to!

6 comments:

Christina said...

That looks so good!! I'm pinning it so I can make it later!!

Amy said...

My mom has been making Pumpkin cake forever and I, too, am a believer. Her recipe is almost identical to yours but doesn't use pecans. Nice addition though.

Marilyn said...

This is so unique and awesome..So creative...I would LOVE for you to share this at my Pin'Inspirational Thursday creative linky party pweease -- TY .. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/10/pininspirational-thursdays-linky-party.html .. I'm officially following ya with SMILES - LOVE your blog..

Whit said...

wow that looks absolutely amazing. I have to try this out. Thank you so much for sharing and linking up to our party Show and Share. Make sure to come back this week and link up your latest projects. We would love to see them.

A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

April @ PolkaDots n' PinkySwears said...

If you make this a day ahead, should it be kept in the fridge or at room temp?

April @ PolkaDots n' PinkySwears said...

If made for the next day, should it be kept in the fridge or covered at room temp?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...