Saturday, April 10, 2010

indecisive.

On Thursday, mr, bug, mini and i went to play with some good friends of mine.  I’m trying to be more social lately, and I sure can use some adult interaction!  I was very excited to hang out and eat some good food and laugh and have some good times, so excited that I spent the day teaching bug to say their names (Veronika isn’t the easiest name to say - it most often came out “Na-na-nika,” which, actually, is pretty cute - but he did get the hang of it by the end of the night!  Such a quick learner.)
Dinner was amazing.  Veronika made spinach and feta chicken, which you can find on her blog, It’s Nothing to Blog About.  (First of all, if you need a laugh, read her blog, it’s funny.  It gave me inspiration to create my own!  Secondly, you really should try this recipe.  When I say it was amazing, I mean it.  It may actually end up on the table this next Monday night!)
I was in charge of dessert, because, as Veronika said, “I don’t bake.”  (That’s ok, the cooking makes up for it...)  soooo.... I politely asked her if she and her hubby were chocolate people or fruity people.  She said they were chocolate people AND fruity people.  This did not make narrowing down the options any easier.  As you know from reading my blog, dessert happens to be one of my favorite things ever.  (yes, ANY dessert...)  So what to make?  Chocolate Eclair dessert?  Tort?  Cherry pie?  Chocolate lava cakes?  There’re just too many to choose from!
So I made two.  A chocolatey one and a fruity one.
Did I mention that I am quite possibly the most indecisive person in the world?  For instance, we were also charged with bringing some games since Veronika owns only two.  I couldn’t decide which game was most appropriate.  As mr carried mini in the car seat, balancing no less than five board games in the other hand, up to Veronika’s house and I struggled with two desserts, a plastic bag of topping items and the diaper bag while holding bug’s hand, he stated flatly, “You know, you don’t travel light, even just across town.”
Anyway, both desserts were a hit, and I thought I’d share them here.  Firstly, I made buttermilk pie, which you can find here, this time with strawberries on top instead of raspberries.  Good, but I think I prefer the raspberries (which is weird, because I don’t really like raspberries, but they add just a tiny bit of bite to a very sweet pie).  And secondly, I made Skor cake.  Mmmmmm..... skor cake.......
I initially found there recipe here, on This & That by Angie.  I made it for a game night with my brother and sister IL and they loved it with a lot of chocolate cake kind of love, so I’ve made it three times since.  It’s safe to say that Veronika and hubby loved it too!  The best part?  SUUUUUUPER easy to make...  
No picture right now, but here’s the recipe according to a few changes I made:
1 chocolate cake mix, made per directions on the box in a 9x13" pan
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 small container whipped cream (better yet, make your own!  See here.)
2-4 skor bars broken into pieces (hammer them while they are still packaged with one of those little meat mallets.  Or something else hammer-ish I guess.)
When you take the cake out of the oven, poke holes all over it with the end of a wooden spoon.  
Pour the entire can of sweetened condensed milk into the holes especially, and over the rest of the cake as well.   I do this while it is hot so that the cake will soak up the milk ESPECIALLY well.
I half of the skor bars right away, sprinkling them all over the cake.  Since the cake is nice and hot, they will get melty (and yummy).
Let it cool completely (remember I learned this the hard way?  See here.) and then spread a generous amount of whipped cream over the top of the cake (covering up the ugliness.)
Sprinkle the rest of the crushed skor bars on top.
Bon Appetite!
So now you have an easy dessert for tomorrow night.  Hop over to Veronika’s blog to find out how to make dinner.
On a side note, after dinner, we were sitting around the dining table talking and bug was playing very nicely on the floor with one of their “nostalgic” toy cars.  Very randomly, he came over to the table and said, “This is a nice room.”  Well, he’s nothing if not polite!  Maybe it was the eclectic style I am so fond of, perhaps he has my taste.  Or maybe it was the amazing artwork decorating the table and walls, courtesy of Veronika's hubby.  Most likely he was just impressed by how clean everything was... it’s a bit of a contrast from what he’s used to.  





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...